Speonk, meaning “high place”, was given this name by the Native Americans dating back as early as the late 1600's. In 1712, Speonk was utilised for its open meadows and vacant land by the neighboring villages. Remaining more vacant than most villages today, the peaceful streets stretching form the fields to the beaches is what makes Speonk so extraordinary.
Dating as early as 1712, the cattle owners of nearby villages such as Southampton and Bridgehampton were leased the open meadows. The earlier cattle owners had quickly built small houses near the meadows to make it easier to tend to the herds. This lifestyle continued for over 150 years. In the 1880's, duck farms began to thrive in Speonk, but only a few remained after the turn of the century.
Speonk was officially recognised in 1897 when the Long Island Railroad began to list this station in their catalog. Later, Speonk was advertised as the last stop before the Hamptons. For a short period of time, there was controversy amongst residents over changing the name to Remsenburg, after Charles Remsen who had donated a new Presbyterian Church. Today, the station is referred to as Speonk-Remsenburg Train Station, but to many locals it will always be Speonk and the remembrance of conductors accentuating the name when calling it on the tracks.
Utilised for its precious land and settled in for its beauty, Speonk has remained a sensational hide away of eastern Long Island.