In 1922 eleven small hamlets located between East Quogue and Shinnecock Hills were announcing their move to unite and be recognized as the great hamlet of Hampton Bays. It is common to hear some of these hamlets still being referred to be their original names. Some include Ponquogue, Squiretown, East Tiana, Canoe Place, and Newtown. However, Hampton Bays didn’t begin in 1922. The history of this great area dates back to 1750 when Jeremiah Culver built an inn and tavern at Canoe Place and conveniently named it, The Canoe Place Inn.
The Canoe Place Inn was always a favorite place for locals and tourists, and during the Revolutionary War it became a fort and safe haven for hundreds of troops. Located west of the Shinnecock Canal, a man-made canal linking The Great Peconic and The Shinnecock Bay, The Canoe Place Inn burned to the ground in 1921. It was later rebuilt and reported to be the oldest inn in the United States.
Hampton Bays used to be linked with Southampton along the ocean fornt, but during the New England Hurricane of 1938, the ocean currents broke through the barrier and washed away the beaches creating, The Shinnecock Inlet. It became the most eastern inlet on Long Island and is still a very popular location for commercial fishing. In 2006 a reported $8.0 million dollars worth of shellfish and 6.1 million pounds of finfish were landed in the Hampton Bays/Shinnecock port. Behind Montauk, Shinnecock Inlet is the second busiest commercial fishing port in New York State.
In addition to a successful commercial fishing location, the break through and creation of the Shinnecock Inlet has resulted in several great surf spots favored by the locals. Just a short distance form the beach over the 65 foot tall bridge connecting the beaches to the main land, Main Street is lined with charming shopes, boutiques, and intimate restaurants and pubs. A port filled with great history, quaint charm, and a village with breath taking landscapes, Hampton Bays is the diamond in the rough of the Hamptons.